How do I get help in a crisis?

My patient receives care from one of your services

If the person you care for currently receives care from one of our services, such as a community mental health team, then please get in touch with your specialist or team as soon as you have any concerns. It may be helpful to refer to the care plan, which should contain details of who to contact in an emergency.

The care plan will have a section referring to ‘crisis’. As a carer it is important for you to be involved in the planning process.  You are often the first person to notice signs of relapse and warning signs. You can also find out who you should contact in a crisis at your carer’s assessment.

I do not use your services

If you are not currently using any of our services, the best thing to do is to get in touch with your own GP as a first step. They may be able to help you themselves or they will refer you to more specialist mental health services.

Click here for a list of useful contact numbers where you can talk to someone for urgent support, day or night.

My patient's life is in danger

If you feel that someone’s life is in danger, we would always advise that you call 999 immediately.

For less urgent, general health enquiries, please call 111.

Useful contact numbers for support

Sussex Mental Healthline

Sussex Mental Healthline is a telephone service run by Sussex Partnership, providing support and information to anyone experiencing mental health problems, including stress, anxiety and depression. The service is also available to carers and healthcare professionals. The Healthline is available Monday to Friday 5.00pm to 9.00am for East Sussex, Brighton and Hove, and 24-hours at weekends and on Bank Holidays. In West Sussex the Healthline is available 24 hours a day. Tel: 0300 5000 101

For further information on the Sussex Mental Healthline , click here.

East Sussex:

Care for the Carers

Care for the Carers can provide you with an application form to apply for an Emergency Alert Card.

Tel: 01323 738390


Carers Respite Emergency Support Services (CRESS)

Tel: 01323 738390

Brighton and Hove:

Brighton and Hove City Council run an Emergency Back-Up Scheme for Carers which allows you to register a plan of support for the person you care for, if you are unable to provide support in an emergency.

For more information call 01273 295555 or visit

West Sussex:

Carers Respite Emergency Scheme


Tel: 01403 243924