We provide a service for adults living with HIV who have psychological and psychiatric problems that impair their abilities to cope with the biomedical, social, relational, sexual and psychological challenges of living with HIV. This Service is not to be used in isolation for patients who require urgent and acute psychiatric care.
Location and parking
Service base: Clinical Health Psychology Office, 1st Floor, Mill View Hospital, Nevill Avenue, Hove, BN3 7HY.
Patients are seen at various locations across Brighton and Hove, inculding, at the Hove Polyclinic, Sussex Beacon and Lawson Unit.
Service inclusion and exclusion criteria
Service inclusion criteria
- A confirmed HIV diagnosis
- Resident of Brighton and Hove
- Over 18 years old
- Psychological and/or psychiatric problems associated with HIV, such that their psychological and/or psychiatric problems are impacting on their ability to cope with HIV, or that the biological, psychological or social aspects of HIV infection are impacting on their emotional well-being.
Service exclusion criteria
- Patients presenting with significant risk of harming self or others who require urgent response and whose needs will be better met by crisis services
- Patients requiring active management by generic mental health services due to risk, complexity and severity of their psychiatric problems
- Patients whose psychological and/or psychiatric problems have little or no association with their HIV status
- Patients whose predominant problems are with substance misuse and/or alcohol whose needs would be better suited by substance misuse services
- Patients with specific psychological problems who would benefit from assessment and treatment from other Specialist Services.